29.6.14

OPEN MOST HOURS


I love Open Studio events, the chance to visit artists in their studios, see where and how they work and chat about all things arty. This year, my illustrator friend - and daughter - Zanna and I took the plunge and joined nearly 300 other South East Open Studio Artists opening our doors most hours during two weeks in June not sure what we were letting ourselves in for.

I am one of life's optimists. I tackle all sorts, my eyes on the goal, not on the effort it takes to achieve it. So I was not a little surprised at the hard graft awaiting us.


There was the marketing and the promotion, printing of flyers, cards and posters, collaboration and synchronisation with fellow artists, landscaping the garden, sourcing props, display stands and tables, making several treks to Ikea for shelving, drawers, pin-boards and lighting and then having the pleasure of putting it all together. Then there was the task of scraping from my mud-caked studio (nearly) every trace of clay in addition, of course, to letting our creative juices flow and in my case making sure that my small kiln didn't go cold for weeks! It was 3 a.m. on the first day of opening that our heads finally hit the pillow.


Needless to say, the real challenge was yet to come. Who would have thought that welcoming a steady flow of visitors, offering drinks and nibbles, listening, talking and answering queries could be exhausting. Every night, at closing time, we would just about make it to the sofa on the top floor of our upside-down house hoping for a little pampering from those kind souls around us. 


Every day we met more wonderful people, some of them had travelled considerable distances to visit us, we saw which work held their attention, listened to their feedback, their ideas and contributions and made valuable new contacts. As Zanna was giving impromptu workshops, I found myself balling up clay for anyone fancying a go on the wheel. A plucky lady in her nineties is set to return for a one-to-one lesson as throwing on the wheel is on her long list of things to do. Naturally, we were happy every time a piece of art or ceramic found a delighted new owner whilst the visitors' book was swelling with lovely, much appreciated comments. 



So, did we have a good time and did opening our studios live up to our expectations? As our thoughts turn to the commissions we have taken on, our joint response is a resounding yes. Will we repeat the performance next year? Another definite yes. Is there anything we will do then which we wished we had done this time? Oh yes, have our bags packed before Day 1 and for some serious relaxation jet off to some tropical island the moment the last visitors have said their goodbyes. 

Only kidding, Zanna and I had a fabulous time!

Mecki

meckiallenceramics.com
zannaallenillustration.co.uk





19 comments:

  1. What a lovely interesting time. If I lived down there I would love to have visited all the studios. Yours looks a beautiful place in the garden to work from. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you can find open studios all over the country :))
      Mecki x

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a lot of work but rewarding. And you got a fabulous looking garden out of it - no need to do that next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That thought has crossed my mind too.
      Off for a little look at your blog in a mo
      Mx

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful little studio, i'm so jealous, it looks lovely <3
    i hope the open studio session was worth the efforts, i'm sure it was very interesting to meet so many like-minded people x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely studio puts my new craft room to shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see it when there is clay everywhere! You wouldn't want to crat in there - ;)

      Delete
  5. what a transformation you made in your garden!! I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea, I'd love to see how other people work and their creative spaces.Your garden transformation is really amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe google for similar events in your area. They are supposed to take place almost everywhere. Glad you like the garden :)
      Mx

      Delete
  7. Oh wow your studio and its lovely garden setting look soooooo gorgeous! I bet people were really happy they'd made the effort to come. Great to hear that your hard work paid off and you got such a positive response :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend taking part to anyone :)))
      Thanks for your nice garden comment too :)

      Delete
  8. What a gorgeous studio and garden. I'm so envious !!!! Hope everything goes well with the open studios xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea. I have seen Open Studio events near me. I love some of your pieces, especially the big bird plate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The birdie plate sold as soon as i put it on display. Was a bit sad to see it go ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just caught up with you here. Glad you had such a good time of it. I love the interplay from chatting to folks about what I do and how I do it - across the stall at a fair or in the talks I give. It would be a lonely life otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...